For more information about PCOM's Physician Assistant Studies Program, click here.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Officially 1 year in PA school


             It is so amazing how time flies in life.  A year ago I was starting orientation at PCOM; this nervous student that had no idea where to go or what to expect.  Here I am today, in my final didactic term at PCOM, less nervous but fully aware of the possibilities that await.
            Nothing makes this process more real than welcoming the incoming class of PA students; the Class of 2013.  My classmates and I are officially no longer the newbies on campus!  It is strange to think that there are people that look up to us now and ask us for advice.  I remember when I was at orientation I admired the class above and could not wait until I was then someday.  Now that I am I can’t help but feel proud of my classmates and myself.  Also, I feel a strange sense of obligation to help the incoming class on their journey as much as possible.  So, I decided to help with some of the aspects of orientation.  A handful of my classmates and I each got a group of 6 students from the new class and did activities with them that they then presented to their other classmates and family members.  I really had a great group of individuals with diverse backgrounds and personalities.  I couldn’t help but sense their nervousness yet sense of belonging during this whole process.  I really enjoyed being a part of orientation and making the new students more comfortable.
            Later in the week we had a BIG/LITTLE DINNER.  Here individuals from our class were assigned a little from the new class.  This event was great during the year when we were littles.  It was a great opportunity to get personal feedback on the program and what to expect.  This year was no exception, and my classmates were flooded with questions during dinner and we confidently handled them all.  I really like my little; she and I bonded right away.  Many of my classmates had similar experiences with their littles. I am confident that they will make great PAs and I can’t wait to hear/see their progress throughout the year.
            I will never forget those individuals in the class of 2011 who helped me throughout this while process and followed up on my progress.  In just over a month, July 27th, they will be graduating, thus passing the torch on to us to be the leaders.  I hope that they are as proud of us as we are of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment