For more information about PCOM's Physician Assistant Studies Program, click here.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Casting and Splinting Lab


            After being in Las Vegas for 5 days, we got back into the swing of school rather quickly.  We woke up bright and early to attend a casting and splinting lab.  Anytime we get to get out of the classroom and do things hands on is refreshing.  We were taught how to do 3 different upper extremity splints, one lower splint, and one cast.  I have to say that I was most nervous about the casting, not because putting it on was difficult but the whole taking it off with a saw had me nervous.  Needless to say, my partner and I left that to the end, as did the majority of my class. 
            I think I did a pretty good job with splinting.  It was nice to have our teachers check over our work and give us tips and encouraging us on how well we were doing.  Doing a splint on the leg was the hardest part for me because the ankle was hard to wrap.  My finished product with that turned out not so great.  However, it did present the opportunity for a good laugh.
            Then it came time to cast and TAKE OFF THE CAST L.  Having witnessed my partner complete this task with no problems I felt more up to the challenge.  I must have really looked nervous though because immediately my teacher Sean pulled out a cast that had already been removed from on of my classmates arms.  He picked up the saw and quickly showed me how the saw went through the cast without going through the stockinet underneath.  For those that are unaware, a stockinet is put over the arm/leg first before putting on the casting material. Sean also showed me by putting the saw on the stockinet and demonstrating how it did not go through it.  Throughout this whole process he reassured me that I would not cut my partner and that I would do great.  That really put me at ease and I will probably never forget that he did that for me.  Sure enough, I cut off the cast without a problem.  Jen 1; Saw 0.  From what I hear all my classmates performed this flawlessly.  Another accomplishment for the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment