For more information about PCOM's Physician Assistant Studies Program, click here.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

More on Job Searching

          I wanted follow-up on a question I got from a reader.  She wanted to know the process of job searching.  I realized I did not fully touch upon this in my last post.
          I have been using indeed.com, the aapa job website, and doccafe.com.  I have also used monster. com and craigslist but there is really not much on those two sites.  I check every day.  I mostly have been emailing or submitting applications with my CV and a cover letter. Occasionally, there is a job that has their own online forms to fill out. Our school went over with us the correct formate and what to include in the CV and cover letter.  I made sure to have many people look it over before sending any of them out.  The worst thing you can do is send out something with spelling mistakes or format issues.  Makes sure your CV and cover letter are concise and neat.  I made a general cover letter and tweak it depending on what position I am applying to.  PLEASE don't lie in your CV or cover letter.  You may be asked about a position you "worked for" or they may expect you to demonstrate a skill that you said you had in your cover letter on the job.  This did not happen to me, I am always honest, but I have heard stories.  The best relationship you can have with your employer is an honest relationship.  Similarly, let yourself shine on paper.  I know that sounds corny but it is true.  I try to always put myself on that page, not just my credentials and experience.  I let them know who I am because ultimately, I want someone to hire me for me.  So, if you find a CV and cover letter template use it, but make it your own.
        Advice on interviewing: be yourself, be calm, and enjoy the experience.  The answers will come to you, just be honest.  Don't be afraid to ask questions!  At the same time, do your research on where you are interviewing before asking a question.  You are already a qualified applicant, that is why you got the interview so just be yourself.  They want to see how well you fit in with their practice and their patients. You got this!
         I hope this helps some of you.  If there is anything I missed shoot me a message and I will try to answer it the best I can.  Have a good day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment