For more information about PCOM's Physician Assistant Studies Program, click here.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Rotation#6: Surgery

On Monday I began my surgery rotation. This rotation is definitely different from the rest. You never realize how much you appreciate sleep until you have this rotation. While my days are not jam packed with patients like in OB, some of the surgeries can be long. I see about 3 surgeries a day. I have seen a gastric bypass surgery, hernia repair, and a port a cath placement (a port used to place medications especially for oncology/hematology patients). Many of the procedures are done using laproscopic surgery. For those that are unaware, laproscopic surgery uses small incisions with the aid of a camera in order to perform surgery. Unfortunately, since I am a student so I am on the low end of the totem pole. This means that I don’t get to do much during a surgery. Thus far I have been able to suture, place catheters, and hold the laproscope. I am loving the experience of scrubbing into a surgery, wearing a surgical gown, mask, and sterile gloves. I am thankful for having the opportunity; however, I can tell I don’t want to go into surgery in the future.

4 more months until graduation!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment