For more information about PCOM's Physician Assistant Studies Program, click here.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Rotation 2: Pediatrics

I love Pediatrics! I find great pride in not only diagnosing and treating little ones, but also creating a sense of ease for parents. So, essentially, at the end of the day I have treated two patients. What could be better? While I don’t have children I can see that it is equally as taxing on parents as it is rewarding. While a normal bump and bruise may mean nothing to us it is at times a call to the ER for new parents. It is my job to provide anticipatory guidance. I tell parents what to expect and how to deal with issues as they arise or how to avoid potential problems. For most parents it’s easy. For others, a takes a while to get comfortable with the fact that parenting is difficult and they need help. Trust is important in this relationship more than anything else. Everyday I work through parental concerns involving toilet training, tantrums, school rebellion, sibling rivalry, nutritional guidance, bed-wetting and constipation. Sometimes my response is as simple as “Try these techniques, if they do not work come back and we will work through another solution to the problem.” The simple act of being there in the process means a great deal.

As I am getting toward the end of this rotation I, again, am amazed at how fast time flies. I remember being so timid when I first started this rotation 5 weeks ago. Now, I can see three or four children in one room. When you get comfortable in a rotation it is really hard to tear yourself away from it. I know that this is what I have to do to complete my degree, but it does not make it any easier. Some of these children I have seen multiple times and seen them grow. Today I had a 10-month-old baby girl want me to do a full physical exam while holding her hand. Yesterday, I had a child whose arm got stuck in a chair in the waiting room. There is never a dull moment. I am sure I will have more crazy adventures on my next rotation, Family Medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment